There was a Pioneer Day Parade

6:00 PM

I told you I'd break up my last weekend into a couple posts. well here's the second one.

Friday night, Kenzie, Jordan, Peter and I left Provo at around midnight to camp out for the 24th of July parade up in Salt Lake. Jordan tried to bail on us because it’d been a crazy/insane day already, and he was totally exhausted. But after we gave him a guilt trip and yelled at him, he caved in. On the drive up there, Peter drove with Jordan in the front seat and Kenzie and I in the back. We took some of the most HILARIOUS and hideous pictures I’ve ever seen in my life. J


{this was us making raspberry  noises with our mouths}

we took some of Jordan and Peter too.
but that was mildly unsafe since Peter was driving, so we only took a few.

but this one took the cake. more raspberry faces.
please view my chin. and kenzie's, um, giant pink gums.

Jordan was so tired and grumpy and annoyed with our constant crazy laughter. our friend Whitney was already up in SLC, and she said that she was gonna meet up with us there. We parked somewhere off State Street when Peter called Whitney. She was already camped out several blocks away with her friend, so we moved down there to where they were already set up. It was just our luck that we had picked the LOUDEST spot on the entire parade route. We set up our sleeping bags and blankets on this patch of grass halfway overcrowded by a flowerbed and spilled/melted ice cream on the curb, right next to all of Polynesia, who blasted a lifetime and a half worth of reggae music from their Suburban all night long. The whole situation was seriously unbelievable.

Jordan took a 30 minute nap 

while the rest of us played Phase 10.

we got through maybe 7 phases by 3 a.m. {Jordan woke up and played with us eventually} when everyone decided to try and get some sleep. Peter and I both just kind of looked at each other like, "okay, well, they can sleep. there's no way we'll be able to sleep through the reggae clan". we all got our blankets and sleeping bags out when a hilariously dressed old gay man who came by and said, "it's like 110 degrees, why do you guys have blankets!?!? just spoon, for crying out loud!" then when Peter was chuckling about that, the gay man said, "well you must've been first in line when they handed out smiles".  hilarious.
4 seconds after we laid down, Kenz & Jordan were out. I just had to lie on my stomach and I started to play on my phone. when I looked over, Peter was doing the exact same thing. too bad he didn't get my text because his phone was on airplane mode (??). but I got maybe an hour and a half of sleeping in, tops. Peter prolly got less.

me. sunburnt from the day and sad about the excessive reggae.

maybe 30 minutes after the others fell asleep, my phone started dying so I decided to hide under my blankets and maybe try to sleep. shortly after, some cops showed up. neither Peter nor I could really remember what happened, I just remember someone needing to jump start another car, someone getting towed {maybe}, and the Polynesians leaving. too bad they left their teenagers there, who didn't stop yelling/smoking all night long.

we were awake again by 6:30 a.m. almost 3 hours before the parade even began. we all ended up buying apple muffins from this cute vegan shop across the street. we played CatchPhrase for a minute, and Peter and I told silly/embarrassing/scary/surprising stories. I told him about stepping on a frog once, parasailing in Mexico, and watching The Grudge. he told me about his mission, one Christmas when he was mean to his sister, and something else that I forgot. soooooooorry, I know I'm a terrible friend.

the parade itself wasn't worth the campout {but we did it for the adventure, right? ehhhhhhhhhhh...} there were floats with creepy looking children and babies and such. and huge marching bands.

oh, and we got  to see President Uchtdorf drive by. 

that was cool. and the governor. and a senator, I think. that was, eh. Utah's not my home state, so it didn't really matter to me. but really it was just hot and we smelled bad and we were SO flipping exhausted. but parts of it were fun. like when the gay man came back and was talking to children and we remembered what he'd said the night before. or when this old man in the parade rode up next to our curb on his bike, dropped a plastic cup in the gutter, and rode away. we laughed about that for soooooooooooooooo long, even after the man was long gone.

... but I feel like that hilarity might have been due to our lack of sleep the night before....

we left SLC at about 11:30 and Kenzie & I fell asleep. Jordan & Peter struggled to stay awake, but we made it home safely {thank goodness}. Kenz went over to apt 58 to see Leah & Chantelly & Kelsey, but I headed straight for my bed.

I slept for five hours. it was a little bit ridiculous. especially considering that Peter only took an hour long nap. yikes. 

then, that same night, Jordan, Peter, this girl Anna, her boyfriend, and this other girl Heather, and I went to see Inception. J It was my second time (but TOTALLY worth it, since the first time I only paid $1, and with the student discount at the Windsong theater up by Tucanos, it was only $5.75!! greatest deal ever.), but Jordan and Peter had never seen it. The reactions on their faces at the very end of the movie when the top started to waver but never fell. I couldn’t stop smiling for like the last 5 minutes of the film because I totally knew what was coming. It was great.

so I'm on my way to San Fran. I promise my next post will be about something in the not-so-distant past. J

0 love notes