Songs That Made Me Cry on the Spot

4:07 PM

There have been three songs that have made my cry on the spot the first time I heard them.

I might be crazy.


  • "Battlefield" by Jordin Sparks
One summer morning between my Freshman and Sophomore years of college, I was driving from my parents house to my catering job when I heard this song for the first time. It wasn't like I was going through some weird or hard breakup, I wasn't dating (or even interested in) anyone  – my life was super cake. But I heard this song and started weeping. I almost had to pull over it was so bad, but I was also almost late for work.

When I told my coworker about it later that morning, I'm pretty sure she just laughed at me. I still feel a little weird about this song.

  • "Perfect" by P!nk
I was also driving, but this time it was back to my apartment in Provo from my internship at Qualtrics. It hadn't been a particularly good or bad day, mostly just a day, but things in my life were fine. At that point I knew I was moving to Washington D.C. for my summer internship and I was beyond excited for it. For whatever reason, hearing P!nk borderline plead with me not to worry about being perfect (because, let's be real, that's basically what she's doing in the song. It really is pleading more than singing) got me all misty eyed. 

I remember thinking, "WTHeck P!nk?!? I thought you were supposed to be all man-hater and party-holic?! Basically the older, more foul-mouthed, not-so glittery and not-so slutty version of Ke$ha. What is this making me cry junk?!?!"

  • "Skyscraper" by Demi Lovato
Also not a hard time in my life. I was living in D.C. the summer before my last year of college. Janet showed me this music video one day after work at our crappy internships. (Added bonus - the video was filmed on the Bonneville Salt Flats. Shout out, Utah!) 

Maybe it was the soft piano riff, combined with the fact that things with my long-distance BF back in Provo felt weird and, uh, long distance-y, but something about this song got me good, and I lost it pretty hard. 

You know this song is totally still on my "sad songs/breakup" iTunes playlist.


  • "Fighter" by Gym Class Heroes ft. Ryan Tedder of OneRepublic
This song came out while I was living in Sacramento and hating everything. 

All I could think while I was listening to this song was, "Wahhhhhhhhh! I am a fighter!! I can do this!! I hate my life but I can do this!!"

So when the referee rings the bell, when both your eyes start to swell, until the crowd goes home, what we gonna do, y'all.

It was borderline ridiculous.


Good times, folks. Feel free to judge appropriately and share any of your insta-cry songs.

0 love notes