There IS Life After Brandon Davies
12:49 PM
when I got on Twitter this morning, the phrases “Brandon Davies” & “Honor Code” were trending topics number 4 and 5.
that’s a big deal.
since this is my school everyone’s talking about, and I live the honor code too, here’s my take on everything that’s happened.
first of all, BYU’s official honor code statement goes as follows:
“As a matter of personal commitment, faculty, administration, staff, and students of Brigham Young University, Brigham Young University—Hawaii, Brigham Young University—Idaho, and LDS Business College seek to demonstrate in daily living on and off campus those moral virtues encompassed in the gospel of Jesus Christ, and will:
· Be honest
· Live a chaste and virtuous life
· Obey the law and all campus policies
· Use clean language
· Respect others
· Abstain from alcoholic beverages, tobacco, tea, coffee, and substance abuse
· Participate regularly in church services
· Observe the Dress and Grooming Standards
· Encourage others in their commitment to comply with the Honor Code”
we also have rules about visiting hours and student residences {no members of the opposite sex in the apartment after midnight, no co-ed housing for un-married students}, dress and grooming {clean shaven guys; no tank tops, short shorts, leggings as pants for ladies}, academic honesty {no cheating. obviously.}, and homosexual behavior {just to be clear, behavior, not attraction or feelings. that’s a whole different discussion for another day when I’m feeling brave and controversial.}
for the entire BYU honor code, go here.
sound super crazy? it’s not.
{and for the record, BYU isn’t the only school with an honor code…}
sure, my weekends don’t consist of parties or alcohol or sex or lots of other things that go on at other universities, but I don’t want them to. I was raised a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints {Mormon}, and I want to be surrounded by people with my same standards. BYU is really one of the only places where I get that. and I love it.
I’m not brainwashed, I’m just not a fan of immorality, drugs, alcohol and such. I don’t agree with those kinds of activities, but I’m not judging people that do go to other schools or participate in those kinds of things. I personally just don’t want to be a part of it.
and I promise it is possible to have TONS of fun without alcohol. call us immature. call us naïve. we have fun in our own way, and we don’t kill our brain cells.
anyone that thinks otherwise can go read about our Decathlon of Love or any of my other posts from last summer.
so Davies. cost us a number one seed? maybe. cost us a chance at the Final Four? we’ll see. despite our loss last night, I think we have a stellar team, a great contender for Player of the Year and an honest BYU student who came forward with his honor code violation and got suspended from the basketball team for it.
that takes some serious guts. and I certainly don’t hate Davies for it. I’m disappointed in his stupidity, because he knew the honor code AND the consequences when he came to this school. but I genuinely think he’s probably disappointed, too.
my favorite article on the whole thing. thank you, mr. canzano. thank you for understanding.
whew.
any questions?

1 love notes
AMEN! way to hammer the nail on the head.
ReplyDelete