There Was an Infamous Red Trenchcoat
10:03 PMImagine this-
One chilly November afternoon, you just got out of class and you're walking across the BYU campus in between the Leebrary, JFSB, Talmedge building, and Tanner building, you know the place, and you spot a brilliantly red spot in the mass amounts of students slowly being herded around and behind and next to and toward you. The spot gets bigger and bigger as you realize... it's a person. Now, you think, a red person? Santa Claus? No, wrong. As the red individual gets closer, it looks like Moses parting the the sea of college students. All heads turn to look at the blinding red. Finally she walks past you, and you see it-the red trenchcoat. Long sleeved, knee-length, complete with gold buttons, just long enough in every way that you can see the cuffs of her brown cable knit sweater and her American Eagle boyfriend jeans, not really a raincoat, but not a fuzzy-warm sweater either. It's the most fabulous thing you've ever seen. You swear you've seen that girl walking on campus before, usually hiding her well-styled hair and made-up face from the falling snowflakes under her fur-lined hood, and practically power-walking from class to class or any form of cover. But today is different. Today, she walks with her head held high, without a care in the world. Her smile is warm and welcoming, but the coat makes her completely untouchable.
That girl, was me.
Okay not really. But this year, I'm going to be that red person. Because I now own my very own red trenchcoat.
I really saw that girl, and how flippin amazing she was. And after that, I noticed more girls with red trenchcoats.
Haley's Now-Written-Unwritten-Rules of BYU #346-Anybody (of the female gender) that wants to be anybody at BYU owns a red trenchcoat.
It's the truth.

1 love notes
This made me laugh and laugh and laugh. I do hope that you follow your mom into the journalism/advertising field because now I've GOT to have a RED TRENCHCOAT!!!
ReplyDeleteBut now I can just see it. You return to BYU's campus, triumphantly stepping out to debut your red trenchcoat on the first slightly nippy day that presents itself (complete with an overcast grey sky as the perfect foil for the red color to "pop", as the stylists in Hollywood say), and as you walk toward campus you notice an odd phenomenon...
Thundering in a herd toward campus, as if in a chorus line, or a marching band formation, are thousands of other BYU coeds decked out in RED TRENCHCOATS - yes, THE fashion must-have of the year to set yourself apart from the crowd!
And the only person who really gets noticed is the professor fumbling through the sea of red trenchcoats on his way to class in his old, worn-out khaki trenchcoat.
And, by the way, the khaki color really does "pop" next to all of that red!!
:P
Alright alright, that's NOT GONNA HAPPEN. I do want photos, though.